The Old Mystic Inn
Wireless Internet Access
of the 1784 House
The Main House at The Old Mystic Inn
John Denison purchased from Samuel Williams in 1783 the piece of land on which the Old Mystic Inn now sits. In 1785, then listed as a lot with buildings, John Denison sold it to his son, Nathan. The buildings mentioned in deeds of that time included a hatters shop and a dwelling house. Nathan later sold the property to his brother-in-law, John Baldwin. The property changed hands twice more over the next ten years and in 1799 it was purchased by Nicholas Williams. By 1825, Nicholas' wife, Lucretia (Lucy) Hempstead Williams owned the house and when she died she willed it to ten people as follows: "from the north to the south 5'11" wide to 5'2" side," then six people got shares in the dwelling house to extend from the roof to the ground 3'3" wide.
In the 1920's, the house was owned by a Mr. Copp, and the Mr. and Mrs. William Harvey family occupied the downstairs. In the early to late 1930's Mr. and Mrs. Frank Williams and Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Williams occupied the upstairs. The Williams family owned the General Store located across the street from the house for 92 years, 1875-1967.
Other occupants over the years included Alberta White Storm who stayed with "Aunt Catherine and Uncle Charles Metzanacher" from 1954-1956 while her husband was in the Navy. Mary Beebe, daughter of Mrs. Storm, remembered living there during this period and recalls that the wallpaper was the same during that period as it was later as a book store.
Charles Vincent bought the property by 1959 and ran the Old Mystic Book Shop there until 1986. The house held over 20,000 books crammed into the rooms from floor to ceiling. You had to look very carefully as there wasn't much light, but Mr. Vincent knew where every book was located in his shop. The sign out front of the present day inn was carved in the resemblance of Mr. Vincent.
After extensive renovations, on June 25, 1987 this grand home was opened as a bed and breakfast/inn now known as The Old Mystic Inn. The Carriage House was added in 1988, doubling the amount of available guest rooms, and included an apartment on the second level. The present Innkeeper and owner, Michael S. Cardillo, Jr. has kept up the tradition of providing a comfortable and pleasant place to rest awhile.
Sources: A History of Old Mystic 1600 - 1999; Kathleen Greenhalgh. The Indian and Colonial Research Center, Old Mystic, CT